Monday 20 June 2011

Introducing my new blog

Welcome to my new blog about my latest book on the historic Lion Hotel in Shrewsbury, which is being launched on July 1.

Over the next few months I will keep you up to date with all the fun of launching a new book, the reaction from readers and also new stories unearthed about the hotel which I have asked people to email me.

I was Editor of the Shrewsbury Chronicle, one of the oldest weekly paid-for papers in the country, for 12 years from 1997 to 2008 and I fell in love with the place, the people and the history.

The historic Lion Hotel played an important part in my time at the Chronicle as I attended many events there. So I was delighted when the owner, Howard Astbury, asked me to write a book about its history, and six months later here it is.

I was even more delighted when the great, great grandson of Charles Dickens, Gerald Dickens, agreed to launch Four Centuries at The Lion Hotel, Shrewsbury, in the Ballroom next Friday (July 1) at 11.45 until 12.30.

Gerald, whose great, great grandfather, Charles, was a regular guest at the hotel, has written the foreword to the book which tells the history of the Wyle Cop building through its VIP visitors, including King William IV, Charles Darwin, Benjamin Disraeli, Niccolo Paganini, ‘Mad Jack’ Mytton the Tory MP, Jenny Lind, Thomas De Quincey and in more modern times the Beatles, Morecambe and Wise and Cliff Richard.

Priced £6.99 the book will be available at local bookshops, tourist information centres, through The Lion Hotel and its website and through John Butterworth, of 33 Kingston Drive, Stone, Staffs, ST15 0JH, john@jbutterworth.plus.com, phone 01785 817465 (there is an answer phone) or mobile 07955 262633.

I will be writing regular posts over the next few days about the book and its launch.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one John - and welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete