Friday 4 May 2012

Time for tea at a National Trust house

The most interesting location where I have given a talk recently has to be Sunnycroft, in Wellington, Shropshire.

This substantial red-brick villa is a typical, small suburban gentleman’s residence from the late-Victorian era which is now managed by the National Trust.

I was invited to speak about my books by the Sunnycroft Afternoon Tea Group, some of whom are pictured below.


I had been once before to this villa whose contents and decorations have been largely unaltered for more than 100 years.

But it was good to see the place without the visitors streaming through – over Easter they had more than 1,000 people come in during the four days.

It was also interesting talking to some of the 100 volunteers who help keep the house and gardens in first class condition as well as being guides and answering the visitors’ many questions.

I had a number of questions from the Tea Group after my talk on the Lion Hotel, Shrewsbury, and I was delighted that I sold copies of that book and God’s Secret Listener published by Lion Hudson Monarch of Oxford.

As befitting this welcoming group we finished with a cup of tea and excellent home-made cakes.

It was a very pleasant afternoon – despite the torrential rain outside.

If you would like me to give a talk to your group on either the fascinating history of The Lion Hotel in Shrewsbury, or Albania – the country that was shut off from the rest of the world for 47 years or Editing the fourth oldest weekly paper in Britain email John@jbutterworth.plus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment