Thursday 20 October 2011

Joy as Shrewsbury video for BBC is finished

I was delighted to receive an email from freelance journalist Richard Vobes today to say that he has finished his video about Shrewsbury which includes an interview with me about The Lion Hotel book.

The film-maker has produced a video about the town as part of a web series called The Bald Explorer, which he is submitting to the BBC. He has already made the first episode about Lewes in East Sussex.

Richard also interviewed the hotel owner, Howard Astbury, asking him about the famous guests who have stayed there including Charles Dickens, Charles Darwin, Benjamin Disraeli, Niccolo Paganini and in modern times The Beatles, Morecambe and Wise and Cliff Richard.

Richard Vobes (pictured below), who is an entertainer, actor, independent film maker and Internet broadcaster, said in his latest blog about the Shrewsbury film: “What do you do when it's all over? Stand back and wait for the applause I suppose! Well, that's a bit premature I hear you say and of course you would be right.
 “The thing about these documentaries is, that although they are very light and should in theory appeal to a broad spectrum of viewer, quite a bit of research does go into the subject matter.


“This episode is very different from the previous one on Lewes and I dare say the next will be as much again in the 'moved on' stakes as this. I do mean different rather than better. I know exactly what has gone into each programme so I am not able to judge whether one rises above the other. To be honest they shouldn't. It’s all work in progress.

“You simply can't just throw these films together on the basis of a few paragraphs from Wikipedia, or at least you shouldn't. I certainly don't expect anyone to remember any of the facts I might spew out, but if I can keep a few people entertained for the 30 minutes that it is on for then I have done my job.”  

Of his visit to Shrewsbury he said: The town is such a fascinating place and steeped in history. One particular focal point is naturally the busy coaching inn, The Lion Hotel, at the top of the curiously named street, Wyle Cop.

“Luckily for me some one has already done all the necessary research I could ever want and more. John Butterworth, ex-editor of the Shrewsbury Chronicle (12 years), has just published a wonderful account of the life of the county town's premier hotel, formerly known as the Red Lion, but now renamed simply as The Lion.”

To see Richard’s film go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWf2K55Igfc

Talking of The Lion Hotel book I shall be meeting up with a number of friends when I return to Shrewsbury tonight to talk to members of Shrewsbury Business Chamber at the very impressive new Shrewsbury Town stadium.
I am really looking forward to the visit and will report back on how it went in another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment