Wednesday 21 March 2012

More than 260 attend my lecture

Whenever I give talks to groups and societies on my two books, God’s Secret Listener, published by Lion Monarch, and Four Centuries at The Lion Hotel, I usually expect an audience of around 30-40.

So I was delighted on Monday this week when more than 260 people, pictured below, from the Shrewsbury University of The Third Age turned up for my lecture in the Walker Theatre at Theatre Severn.


The University of the Third Age, founded in Paris in 1979, is open to everyone and has become an international organisation.

Their objective is to advance the education of, and provide educational interest for, people aged over 50 no longer in full-time employment.

They aim to achieve this through monthly meetings and through members' involvement in their study groups.

The UK's U3A was founded in 1982 and has been a major success. Today there are over 800 branches and more than 270,000 members.

I spoke to the Shrewsbury U3A group, which started in 1992, about ten years ago when I was editor of the Shrewsbury Chronicle.

Then there were around 100 people, but the group has mushroomed to now having 425 members and become so big that they have had to change venues a couple of times.

At the rate they are growing they will soon be too big for the Walker Theatre which is a modern lecture room with all the high-tech facilities and helpful staff.

It was a delight to speak there, made even more pleasurable by selling a number of books afterwards.

I was amazed how keen members were with the theatre reception crowded at 9.45 with people ready for the 10.30 lecture.

I was also surprised at their full programme and all their many study groups on a range of topic from wine to bridge.

The annual subscription, currently £16 payable each September, covers affiliation fees to the national organisation, four 'U3A News' magazines posted to members, and local expenses such as the cost of speakers and room rental for monthly meetings, postage and the publication of a newsletter. It also includes membership of any study group or groups.

I wish the U3A continued success. I was so impressed that I might join – when I have more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment