Thursday 24 November 2011

I'm amazed where my blog reaches

I never cease to be amazed by the effect of this blog and the number of countries it reaches.

In the last few weeks I have hits from around the world with some of the more unusual ones being Azerbaijan, China, Argentina, Latvia, Philippines, Macedonia, Mongolia and even Somalia.

Another of the benefits is that people are reading my blog and ordering copies of Four Centuries at The Lion Hotel at the special Christmas price of £6 including postage to addresses in the UK via my email John@jbutterworth.plus.com

A third spin-off is the feedback I get, sometimes many weeks later.

Yesterday Randall Stock emailed me to say: “I'm sorry to bother you, but I came across one of your blog posts and was hoping you could provide some additional information.

“I write and speak about Conan Doyle rarities, including at Harvard’s Conan Doyle symposium. 

“I'm working on a chapter for a book, and during my research came upon some information by Professor Michael Slater that I need to check. 

“Unfortunately the only email address I have for him is bouncing back, and I see from your blog that you were in touch with the professor back in July.

“Could you send me his email address?  I'd appreciate your help.”

I am now trying to help him

But it is not just my blog and The Lion’s own website that is interesting, there is also the address book of the people who have stayed at the hotel and left their comments.

I was delighted to read recently that John and Sandra Faulkner of the Dickens Fellowship had visited the Shrewsbury hotel, pictured below.


The Fellowship, which was founded in 1902, is a worldwide association of people who share an interest in the life and works of Dickens.

When owner Howard Astbury heard that John and Sandra were staying in the hotel for two nights and of their interest in Dickens he was able to move them for the second night into the Dickens suite.

The couple wrote in the visitors’ book: “The Lion was all that we expected. To stay where the Great Man stayed was wonderful and we thank you.”

And even better news for me – they bought a copy of my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment