Tuesday 23 August 2011

Successful literary lunch to be repeated

I have only just caught up with Caroline Thewles, pictured below, who organised the sell-out literary lunch at The Lion Hotel, as part of the Shrewsbury Summer Season.


I was invited to join the 90 guests for lunch and then sell my book afterwards, but unfortunately I couldn’t make it as I was away in Devon.

The two guest speakers were the philosophical gardener and celebrated writer Mirabel Osler and the historian and designer Sir Roy Strong, discussing Mirabel’s recently published memoir, The Rain Tree.

Caroline said she had turned away people who wanted to come as they couldn’t fit comfortably more than nine tables in the hotel’s Lion Room.

Guests commented on the excellent lunch provided by The Lion’s Michelin chef, Ian Matfin.

A raffle raised £160 for the local hospice and Caroline said the event went so well that she is planning another one for next year’s Summer Season.

I am pleased to say guests generously bought copies of Mirabel’s and Sir Roy’s books – and also copies of mine.

To buy a copy of Four Centuries at The Lion Hotel, Shrewsbury, email John@jbutterworth.plus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment