Sunday 7 August 2011

Word about the book is spreading

Word about Four Centuries at The Lion Hotel is spreading. I was delighted to receive a phone call this weekend from John Marshall, who lives in West Heath, Birmingham, and had been reading my blog after a friend in Shrewsbury told him about the book.

He had gone into Waterstones in Birmingham to try to buy a copy without success, so had contacted me and I was delighted to post him one on Saturday.

John, who is a Dickens fan, enjoys putting on one-man shows for charity by reading A Christmas Carol, which he has performed at St Anne’s Church Hall in West Heath and St Mary’s Hospice, Selly Oak, Birmingham.

In his email he said: “I invite my audience to step back in time and savour the atmosphere as I take the part of Charles Dickens giving his dramatized reading of his story – A Christmas Carol.  Dickens gave his first public reading – appropriately of A Christmas Carol – at Birmingham Town Hall on 27th December, 1853.  He went on to give 472 performances in England, Scotland, Ireland and America. 

He continued: “I endeavour to recreate his performance as closely as I can by delivering my reading dressed as Charles Dickens behind a replica of his reading stand (pictured below). I give a short introduction before I take the part of Dickens. 


“At a certain point, my wife concludes the introduction, allowing me to make a near-instant change and reappear as Dickens. 

“This is followed by the dramatized reading which –  with an  interval mid-way (flexible depending on whether refreshments are served) – lasts between one and a half and one and three quarter hours.  Before the commencement of the second half, my wife gives a brief recap of the story to that point.”

John added that after phoning me he rang the Secretary of the Birmingham Dickens Fellowship, of which he is a member, to talk about inviting me down to give a lecture.

He said: “She was very interested and has given me the opportunity to bring your book to the attention of members at our next meeting this Wednesday (August 10).”
The Dickens fan, who is retired and can fit in with daytime of evening performances, said he is always interested in giving one-man shows for charity and he doesn’t charge a fee

If you want more details, contact John Marshall at marshall8558@hotmail.com or phone 0121 458 3686.

No comments:

Post a Comment